- Cost pressure, individualization, and complexity remain top trends, even in the age of digitalization.
- Compared to 2012, the importance of sustainability has markedly increased.
- Digitalization of business processes and transparency in the supply chain are the most important trends, and ones that companies will need to develop considerably in the future.
- The overwhelming majority of companies still have substantial potential for improvement in terms of their individual capacity to adapt to existing trends. Here, the answers to our survey indicate a very wide spectrum.
- The most urgent action required relates to the growing staff shortage and upcoming applications of business analytics: More than 60% of the companies we surveyed have, to date, not been able to adjust sufficiently to this.
The trends at glance
Digital transformation opportunities
Impact on costs and revenue
Digital technologies can reduce costs by, for example, intelligent forecasts or operational support for the employee, thus also increasing productivity. Implementing these technologies can also improve customer relationships and open new business areas. The majority of companies in the manufacturing sector (79.9%), logistics services (85.5%), and retail (74.5%) recognize these and similar positive effects of a digital transformation.